Wish I Knew . . .
#48 Kathryn Downing - CEO / Executive Coach / Entrepreneur / Working with Brene Brown & Deepak Chopra
April 19, 2022
Welcome to another episode of "Wish I Knew . . . "
A podcast where I speak with people about their careers focusing on their success, advice, mentoring and listening to interesting stories.
I'm your host Gary Nowak and when this guest agreed to be a guest on my podcast I felt so grateful and intimated at the same time. Dr. Kathryn Downing has helped me a great deal with the future of my career as an executive coach.
- Lawyer by background
- Entered the publishing industry and became the Publisher, president and CEO of the LA Times
- Board member for the Women's foundation of California
- Founder of Executive to Executive where she started her coaching career
- Coach and supervisor with the Hudson Institute of Coaching
- Program leader for the Coaching Supervision Academy
- Recently received her doctorate in professional studies, coaching supervision from Middlesex University in London
- Cleaning hotel rooms at age 15, working for a very demanding boss
- The impact of cleaning rooms that sticks with her today
- Being financially independent
- Becoming a lawyer, then 18 months later coming to realization
- Law school and having to work full time
- Hitting a sales cap mid year then going to product development
- Moving to Dayton and LOVING it
- CEO of traditional print companies, being a great role
- Professional publishing for 3 different companies
- Being a CEO and listening to everyone in the company
- Getting the "Who the hell are you comment"
- San Diego snowy comment gets unwanted traction
- 8 to 10 year recovery process
- Interesting perspective on taking ownership
- Shipping physical records out of state to keep them safe
- The most hate mail received at the LA times
- 8 years of trying to figure out what was next
- Working with Brene Brown and Deepak Chopra early on
- Finding focus on a beach in North Carolina
- Great Keynote speaking discussion
- Best mentors were horrible bosses and books
- Fast decision making
- The impact of being a woman